We all like to sleep on clean beds. But just washing the sheets and changing the pillowcases are not enough. Neither is flipping the mattress from time to time. A Dirty mattress should be regularly cleaned and maintained properly in Sydney. It will otherwise attract germs and slot of dirt will settle. You can easily clean your mattress at home. Given below is a simple method to do so and you will only require materials that are easily available.
Materials Required: To Clean A Dirty Mattress
- A vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment
- Mild dish soap or an enzyme cleaner
- Good quality laundry detergent
- Baking soda
- Clean cloths
Method of Cleaning
- Clear all pillowcases, sheets and blankets from the bed. Wash them separately in the washing machine. You will not be able to clean the mattress easily if you remove these. Washing the bedding separately will allow you to thoroughly clean it and get rid of dust mites.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to clean the mattress thoroughly. Make sure that you clean the seams, the sides and even the crevices. There might be dirt or dust accumulating in these spaces and therefore should be cleaned.
- Your mattress might have some stains. To clean this, the best method is spot cleaning. You should never soak a mattress completely. If it is memory foam then even a little bit of water will cause a good deal of damage. Check the label on your mattress. It will tell what products you can and cannot use it for cleaning purposes. Stains can be removed by enzyme cleaners or if it is safe for your mattress, then you can use a dish soap. Apply the cleaner on a cloth and wipe the affected areas. Use a clean, damp cloth to blot. Repeat these steps until the stains come off completely.
- Once you have vacuumed and spot cleaned your mattress, you should let it dry in the open. But if you cannot do that or if direct sunlight causes damage to the fibres, baking soda can be used. Sprinkle baking soda all over your mattress and let it sit for a day. It will absorb all excess moisture from between the fabric fibres and will get rid of any odour. Keep the windows open for proper airflow and allow some sunlight. The sunlight will help kill bacteria.
- Vacuum the mattress again. After using the vacuum cleaner, flip the mattress and follow the same steps to clean the other side.
After you have cleaned your dirty mattress, it is important to protect its freshness. You can use a mattress protector for that. Mattress protectors stop stains from becoming permanent and keep the mattress clean and fresh for a long time. You can also have a fitted sheet around your mattress. But you will need to wash it as often as possible. Fitted sheets prevent dust from settling on the mattress. This allows the mattress to stay clean for an even longer period.
Finally, hire a mattress cleaning Sydney company like Sam’s Cleaning Sydney to clean your dirty mattress.
Read More Here: – How to maintain a commercial carpet?